Apply for funding
To apply, you should:
- Read the selection criteria and general regulations below to see if your project meets the basic criteria.
- Fill out the application form and
- Fill out the online personal data form
If you encounter any problems while submitting the application, please contact our office at international (at) moviesthatmatter.nl.
- Film screenings will contribute to discussion about human rights in the country/region in question
- The project takes place in one of the countries as defined on the DAC List of ODA recipients and/ or countries where press freedom is at stake in Africa, Asia, Latin America, Middle East or Eastern Europe. (With reference to the DAC List, Movies that Matter will give priority to projects in “Least Developed Countries”, “Other Low Income Countries” and “Lower Middle Income Countries”.)
- Applications are submitted and executed by a local organisation. A filmmaker distributing his/her own film(s) can also be supported, provided that the project is executed in close cooperation with a local organisation.
- Projects are organised and executed by, or in close cooperation with, human rights organisations.
- Movies that Matter values films with high cinematic quality. The film(s) that will be screened should be independently produced (Movies that Matter does not accept applications for screenings of NGO outreach / education films).
- Movies that Matter values project targeting youths or new audiences that do not regularly attend film screenings and discussion programmes (for instance in peripheral areas).
- The application consists of a well-wrought and complete plan and budget (see entry form for all required information).
- A reasonable degree of professionalism of the organisation is required, both financially and organisationally.
- Total project costs should not exceed € 100,000. Movies that Matter gives priority to projects with a total budget of less than € 50,000.
- Movies that Matter does not support film production.
- The support provided by Movies that Matter ranges between € 3,000 and € 7,500 per project.
- Projects can be supported for a maximum of three times. For every project the applicant needs to submit a new application. Movies that Matter is prepared to finance projects according to the following rules:
- 1st time: up to 100% of total project costs
- 2nd time: up to 75% of total project costs
- 3rd time: up to 50% of total project costs
(In all cases the maximum support is EUR 7,500.)
- Application forms must be filled out in English. Additional material should be in English as well. If applying in English is a serious problem, please contact our office.
- Application forms must be filled out completely.
- Application forms must be received ultimately on the deadline.
- Projects should not take place within two months after the deadline.
- The application form should be attached to the filled out online personal data form. If you have problems uploading the application form online, please send it by e-mail to international (at) moviesthatmatter.nl.
- Documents and additional material should be clearly marked with the project title.
- If your project concerns one specific film, that film should be finished at the time of submitting the application. Please send us a link for online viewing, or send a DVD copy to our postal address: Movies that Matter Foundation, Att. Eric van de Giessen, P.O. Box 1968, 1000 BZ Amsterdam. Please ensure that Movies that Matter has received the DVD copy or viewing link at the deadline.
- If your project was previously supported by Movies that Matter. The report of this project should be received before you can apply for a new project.
- The result of the selection will be announced within two months after the application deadline.
- If you have any questions concerning the application, please contact Matthea de Jong or Eric van de Giessen
at 0031-(0)20-7733627 or international(at)moviesthatmatter.nl.
- If you would like to see an example of a budget, click here.