Apply for funding
To apply, you should:
- Read the selection criteria and general regulations below to see if your project meets the basic criteria.
- Fill out the entry form and
- Fill out the online personal data form
If you encounter any problems while submitting the application, please contact our office at international (at) moviesthatmatter.nl.
Start-up & Impact Grants
- The maximum support of a start-up grant is € 7,500 per project.
- Movies that Matter supports small-scale projects that have a total budget of less than € 20,000.
- Projects are eligible for a start-up grant for a maximum of two times. For every project the applicant needs to submit a new application.
- Movies that Matter is prepared to finance projects according to the following rules:
1st time: up to 100% of total project costs
2nd time: up to 75% of total project costs.
- The maximum support of an impact grant is € 10,000 per project.
- Movies that Matter gives priority to small and medium-scale projects that have a total budget of less than € 50,000. In all cases, total project costs should never exceed € 100,000.
- Projects can be supported for a maximum of five times. For every project the applicant needs to submit a new application. Movies that Matter never supports more than 50% of total project costs.
- Film screenings will contribute to discussion about human rights in Africa, Asia, Latin America, Middle East or Eastern Europe.
- Movies that Matter values films with high cinematic quality.
- Movies that Matter prefers films that are independently produced. Screenings of NGO outreach films are not supported.
- Movies that Matter values projects targeting youths or new audiences that do not regularly attend film screenings and discussion programmes (for instance in peripheral areas).
- The project takes place in one of the countries as defined on the DAC List of ODA recipients and/ or countries where press freedom is at stake in Africa, Asia, Latin America, Middle East or Eastern Europe. With respect to this DAC List of ODA recipients, Movies that Matter gives priority to projects in “Least Developed Countries”, “Other Low Income Countries” and “Lower Middle Income Countries”.)
- Applications are submitted and executed by a local organisation that is well-connected with the target audience. In some cases a filmmaker distributing his/her own film(s) can also be supported, provided that the project is executed in close cooperation with a local organisation.
- Projects are organised and executed by, or in close cooperation with, human rights organisations.
- The application consists of a well-wrought and complete plan and budget (see entry form for all required information).
- A reasonable degree of professionalism of the organisation is required, both financially and organisationally.
- Movies that Matter does not support film production.
- Application forms must be filled out in English. Additional material should be in English as well. If applying in English is a serious problem, please contact our office.
- Application forms must be filled out completely.
- Application forms must be received ultimately on the deadline.
- Projects should not take place within two months after the deadline. As the selection process takes at least seven weeks, projects starting before 12 November 2016 can not be considered.
- The application form should be attached to the filled out online personal data form. If you have problems uploading the application form online, please send it by e-mail to international (at) moviesthatmatter.nl.
- Documents and additional material should be clearly marked with the project title.
- If your project concerns one specific film, that film should be finished at the time of submitting the application. Please send us a link for online viewing.
- If your project was previously supported by Movies that Matter the report of this project should be received before you can apply for a new project.
- The result of the selection will be announced within two months after the application deadline.
- If you have any questions concerning the application, please contact Eric van de Giessen
at 0031-(0)20-7733630 or international(at)moviesthatmatter.nl.
- If you would like to see an example of a budget, click here.